Sunday, November 11, 2012

French Fry

My kids are awesome.  Really, they are.  They are funny and smart and kind and interesting.  I have to remind myself of that on a daily basis because they are 1) the world's shittiest sleepers, and 2) the world's shittiest eaters.  I have more sympathy for the sleep thing--hell, I am a terrible sleeper.  But the food?  Dear god.  Pick it up, put it in your mouth, chew it up, and swallow.  It's not rocket science.

Norah isn't that picky, she just doesn't eat very much quantity-wise.  Lou is very, very, very picky.  The number of things he will eat is very limited and what he will eat has to be presented in a very particular way.  He likes bread and he likes peanut butter, but won't eat peanut butter on bread.  He likes broccoli, but only if cut in a specific way.  That would be fine, except for the fact that his cutting preference changes on a daily basis.  He definitely gravitates towards kid friendly food--chicken nuggets, cheese toast, pizza, etc. but the kid won't touch mac and cheese.  He's so weird.  I definitely think he has some texture and sensory issues around food, which hopefully he will grow out of, but I may go insane in the process.  I am so very tired of mopping the floor.

He's growing up just fine, just not out.  He's about to fall off the growth chart, weight-wise, although he is maintaining an above average height.  He's making me go slowly insane.

He had a terrible virus this past week that resulted in a high fever and super sore throat for several days.  He pretty much ate nothing for almost a week.  Some cheerios and a few blueberries.  On our way home from the doctor (strep test negative) yesterday, I stopped to get him a milkshake (doctor's orders).  He wouldn't touch it.  He did, however, want the french fries I got for myself and he ended up eating the majority of the serving.  I attempted to use this new found love of his to my advantage and today I made him both tofu and sweet potato fries.  He fell for it with the sweet potato but would have none of the tofu.

At least it's a start.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

While I'm disappointed he turned his little nos eup at the tofu french fries, I applaud you for your attempts.